Sunday, June 6, 2010

Shutter Re-purposing


I love to find ways to re-purpose old things. I love it! Especially when it involves:
*1. Something old and inexpensive and
*2. SPRAY PAINT!
So I was shopping that the Re-Store (awesome place, full of old stuff) and found a huge pile of shutters. I wasn't 100% sure what I was going to do with them when I bought them. I bought a few different sizes too. Just take a look at how great they came out!!!

Here are what they looked like when I brought them home - ugly and dirty







 I started with the orange ones. I took them apart and cleaned them. After they were all dry (I waited until  the next day) I primed them with Krylon white primer. Then came the fun part. I painted one yellow and one Light turquoisey  blue.  I did 2 or 3 coats on each one and on each side.
Then I used my cricut to cut out some vinyl letters. Then came the tricky part. I put the letters on, cutting each one with an exacto knife so they could adhere to multiple rungs. They are not perfect. And I think I want to add some glaze to the blue one. But here is what I have so far. Pretty fun right?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment